Sunday 1 November 2015

My first five months in Canberra [school life]

It's been a long time I didn't post any blog in here. I remember that I made a promise before went here that I would like to post a weekly blog. But, promise is just a promise. :p

So, let me retry again.

I arrived in the first week of winter, June 2015. Wow! It was so cold! I just had a few warm clothes and was so lazy to buy a new one. Fortunately, I'm still alive and ready to meet the summer! Yuhuuuu!

As an Australian Awards Scholarship recipient, I had to attend an Introduction Academic Program. The materials were amazing. We're thought some basic academic skills so then we'll be ready facing our first semester. We learnt how to do critical reading, annotated bibliography, literature review, essay writing, Ms. Office, and many more. I think it was an excellent program for us.

After the IAP, I'm officially PhD student of Research School of Earth Sciences, the Australian National University. Finally, I'm a student again! For me, it's a tough journey to be able here. I needed more than one year to be accepted as the ANU's student. I'm here! I thank to Prof. Phil Cummins, our ayah, who has done everything for me.

Currently, I'm struggling to decide my research topic. So many interesting things to do. Phil lets me to find anything that I want to do. That's a good thing. But, it's hard for me. The most important thing is I should really-really want to solve that problem.

Firstly, I would like to extend my Master's thesis, PTHA. Unfortunately, its seems more engineering problem and just have a little tsunami science. Then, I started to look about HF Radar for tsunami detection. Then I met a new problem that we may hard to find the data. After that, I want to know more about tsunami-internal wave interaction. Unfortunately, I couldn't find evidences. Now, I'm interested on tsunami-tide interactions. Should I continue it? But suddenly, Phil asks me again to read on HF Radar. Oh,,,, come one!

During my procrastinating time to get a topic, I'm helping Dr. Sebastien Allgeyer to run some tsunami model for Illapel tsunami event 2015. Sebastien is pointed as my second supervisor. Now, we're running Greens Function and would like to make tsunami inversion. The interesting thing is that we want to see the difference inversion result from SWE, dispersive and loading effect.

On the next blog, I would like to tell you my life style in here.

Cheers,


No comments:

Post a Comment